Community

Collecting art without going broke!

At Luster we have a strong belief that art should be for all and for that to happen, fine art needs to be affordable. We work on a one to one basis with our photographers and keep all our curating and printing in-house – we bring these cost cutting measures direct to you. Limited edition and exclusive prints from our photographer’s personal archives can be all yours, without going broke!

We’re happy to see that the good people at TrendHunter think the same! Check their feature on Luster’s affordable art >>> Luster on TrendHunter

Martyn Thompson – 2012 SDP Award nominee

We’re excited to hear that Luster photographer, Martyn Thompson has been nominated for an SPD Photography Award. The piece (below), which ran in Real Simple’s July 2011 issue, is up for the the Service Feature photography category. The 47th annual SPD Awards gala will be head in May 2012.

Good luck Martyn!

See the complete lst of nominees in the SDP Press Release
See the Martyn Thompson collection at Luster
Follow Martyn’s Tumblr collection for all his latest news.

New at Luster – Petrina Tinslay

We are delighted to welcome Australian still life and food photographer Petrina Tinslay to the Luster collection. Petrina is well known for her still life and food work having shot for New York Times Magazine, Martha Stewart Living and Wine and Vogue Living along with shooting cookery books with Nigella Lawson, Bill Granger, Neil Perry and Donna Hay + Tyler Florence. To get to know a little more about what makes Petrina’s work so special read this excerpt from Natalie Walton at the Daily Imprint blog below:

Which five words best describe you?
Enthusiastic, realistic, dreamer, passionate, patient.

What’s the best lesson you’ve learnt along the way?
Nothing can take the place of hard work and dedication to your craft. I love the saying… “the harder I worked, the luckier I got”. My parents always had their own small business and instilled a good work ethic in me from a very young age. I feel this is the best thing you can teach someone, along with kindness, patience and humility.

What’s your proudest career achievement?
I think working on great cookbook projects (around 45 to date) on a regular basis, with wonderfully gifted chefs and cooks like Nigella Lawson, Michele Cranston, Neil Perry, Delia Smith, Bill Granger, Donna Hay, Tyler Florence, Jill + Jewels Elmore, Alison Attenborough + Jamie Kimm. The length of time working on these projects allows you to establish wonderful relationships with the chefs/cooks/authors and the crew and you can really get your teeth into creating a look and style for their recipes with your photography… you do get to eat very well too. Some of these projects have left me with truly wonderful memories and experiences. Winning the James Beard Foundation (a US-based, internationally recognised industry award) for “Best Food Photographer” in 2000, for one of my cookbooks was really exciting too and more recently the IACP (International Association of Culinary Professionals) US awards for “Best Photography+Styling”.

Who inspires you?
So many people for so many reasons. But first and foremost… my Father + Mother, my Grandfather… all greatly loved and respected by all who know/knew them. I try to be like them as much as I can everyday. There are also some amazingly talented image makers out there whose work is both inspirational and beautiful. For me looking at beautiful and clever imagery is an eternal source of happiness.

What are you passionate about?
Food and photography… probably in equal parts, if I’m to be completely honest! When I was about ten I used to think I’d become a chef and used to read about the Roux Brothers and other great European chefs. I find it interesting to see everything came full circle for me to still work with food, but from a different angle… photographing it, rather than creating it. I do think I’m better at eating than cooking!

See Pertina Tinslay’s collection at Luster here
Read the full article at Daily Imprint here

|